D&C 4:2

"Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day." (D&C 4:2)




Wednesday, November 7, 2012


Dear Everyone!!!

I cannot believe that I am currently over the hump to finish my duration at the MTC, that is absolutely bizarre.  When people tell you that 2 years go fast, I believe it.  I feel like I wake up and get ready for bed within an hour of each other, its kinda crazy.  However, I still am loving the MTC more than ever, this is the best place!!!  Halloween here was pretty hilarious.  These elders in  our residency made their room into a haunted house where you have to walk inside and touch the wall.  As you walk, they flicker the lights, one kid had taped his nose to his forehead to look like a pig, another had a pink bunny suit and jumped on you and then one was on the bed yelling out things like Golem.  It was hilarious, I took a video, it was so creepy.  I have SO MUCH candy, cookies and treats, its crazy, i share it with everyone and there is still an  abundance, i guess it will be a good cushion for Cabo Verde when I sweat myself thin.  My companions is currently at 46 ties from starting to trade one tie.  Its pretty remarkable.   Anyway, the lessons this week have been absoltely a slap in the face for me.  Ive probably already said this but, the more that I have come teach by the spirit and by the Lord's way, the more I realize how weak i am.  No missionary can convert someone by their own strength, and if they do that conversion will not last.  True conversion comes from the thoughts, feelings and simple whisperings of the Holy Ghost.  Anyone that puts the effort to know the truth by prayer "can know the truth of all things".  The same goes for teaching.  I always thought it was crazy when people said they "teach by the spirit", it didnt make sense, but now its coming all together.  The spirit  helps discern the needs of the investigator and helps inspire questions that can really make the investigator open up.  I am no where near a great teacher or missionary, but I know that when i put my trust in the Lord and rely on the spirit, I can be better.  A cool quote i heard was "As long as you do your best, the Lord will do the rest".  The language is coming so good, I can understand every word that my teacher says and he doesn't speak any english as of yesterday.  We set aside monday, wednesday and friday to only speak portuguese, awesome huh!!!!?!  I love learning about the Prophet Joseph Smith, its a truly inspiring and life changing story.   I'm am personally grateful for Joseph Smith restoring the original Church of Jesus Christ to the earth.  Not reforming, editing or changing Christ's church, but restoring it with its proper Prophet, apostles, organization and authority.  Looking into the bible you can see the exact organization of Christ's church to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, something that many churchs have changed.  I am the luckiest young man in the world, to have such knowledge and testimony of a church can give eternal happiness.  I have often taken for granted being a member of the Church, when instead I should be thanking my heavenly father for giving me the best life, family, friends and opportunity to tell the world what I know.  I promise anyone that may not know that the LDS church is true to ask God, just as the prophet Alma found his answer "Behold, I say unto you they are made known unto me by the Holy Spirit of God.  Behold I have fasted and prayed many days that I might know these things of myself.  And now I do know of myself they are true..." (Alma 5:46).  Even if you do have a testimony of this gospel, you should be asking for answers every day.   That has had a huge influence in my life.  I stopped asking to know things were true once I had recieved an answer, but as I resumed this same process, my faith in Christ has increased and the validity of the Book of Mormon has become 100% real.  If this gospel is true, we have a living prophet today named Thomas S. Monson.  If this gospel is true we have the authority of God to perform ordinances that are key to salvation.  This gospel changes lives and brings happiness, that is why i serve.

I love you all so much,
Elder Rice