"Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day." (D&C 4:2)
Thursday, November 22, 2012
Dear Everyone!!!
Week #7!!!! This is nuts, I’m gonna
be in Africa, I can't describe how excited I am!!!! However, the MTC is
fantastic as usual. You’re all probably tired of me telling you how awesome the
MTC, but truthfully I love it so much!!!! Last Wednesday I had the opportunity
to be a host for the incoming missionaries. This was one of the larger groups
because no missionaries are coming in the week of Thanksgiving. IT was crazy! I
felt like I had literally just been dropped off at the curb, and I’m the Elder
carrying elders baggage! There is a missionary from Cabo Verde here at the MTC
and he lives in our residency!!! We went up and talked to him for like 30
minutes about Cabo Verde. he says we are gonna love it! Elder Teixera (from
Cabo Verde) has been a member his whole life (which is unusual since teaching didn’t
really start until the late 1980''s) and his dad was the person that brought
the missionaries over to the island Fogo (island with a bunch of volcanoes). IT
was so cool to talk to him, and i could understand just about everything he
said in Portuguese, awesome! The language is going great, I’m excited to use it
in the field, i know that nothing will compare to speaking it every day with
the natives. My companion Elder Heagney is up to 83 ties from 1 tie, pretty
impressive. he does 5 for 1 trades and people are thanking him, he is good. I'm
learning so much every day, I have so many things to work on, but hopefully
I'll be ready by time I leave. Reading in 3 Nephi, with the arrival and
ministry of Christ to the people in the Americas is absolutely amazing. I think
when I read the Book of Mormon the first time I missed it because that is such
a great section (3 NE 11-27). I love the lessons that Christ teaches the people
that are so simple and so direct, it’s so powerful. Our Church is centered on
Jesus Christ, everything we do relates to the example, teachings and doctrine
of Christ. It's hard to believe people think that we aren’t Christian. Christ
visiting in the America and the records kept by the prophets are what set our
church apart from any other church in the world; we have the fullness of the
Gospel of Jesus Christ through the Book of Mormon. I feel bad for not using the
Book of Mormon as much as I should have. I just want to thank my parents for
raising me in the gospel, for taking me to church, for guiding me to learn
about the Gospel, it truly is blessing that has changed my life. I am
personally grateful to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day
Saints. I have been starting to keep a journal set aside for my feelings,
spiritual promptings and special experiences. I would challenge everyone at
home to do the same, it’s nice to read your thoughts and strengthen your
testimony. I love the Gospel of Jesus Christ, I’m not perfect, but I will do my
best to be a representative for Him.