Hi,
This last Sunday a member, named Maritsa brought one of her friends name Zito. He really liked church, so we got to talk to him this week. He was very open to our message, having been invited by one of his friends. He accepted our invite to baptism on the 20th of September. Investigators that are introduced by members are 100% more effective than other ways. If we really want to bring more souls unto Christ, members must work together with missionaries, there is no other solution. There is nothing better than having a friend there to answer doubts, bear testimony and guide them through this path.
At family home evening this week we got to try something a little different out. As we are all brothers and sisters in the Lords plan, it’s as if we are a family within the church. Each person was able to share a little bit about how was their week, what was good and bad, if they needed help with anything. It was just like a little family council. I think it was a great way to open each other up create more union within the branch members. We got to bring Chidi and he loved it.
Chidi is doing so great. He literally just glows now. We taught him about temples and it just blew his mind. Not only that, but he has the luck to have a temple in his country that is like a few hours car drive. He was really excited about that. He asks us almost every day if he will be able to participate in missionary work when he gets back, all he wants to do is share the gospel with others, he is so awesome! We have also found that there are a ton of chapels very close to where he lives. He is actually planning to probably leave this week to head back to Nigeria, which will be really good for him. I love him so much! I’m going to miss him, but we will definitely stay in contact.
We have had some really great success this week with less actives. The church has been here in Santa Maria for right around 10 months to a year, there are already 30+ less actives here. There is a lot of work to do with less active members. We have been working with a man named Filipe that has recently returned to the church. And also this week we met with a less active man Oitavio. He has been a member for like 8 months. He told us that when he was in the church he has direction in his life and he was on the way to fulfill his dreams. But once he stopped he lost that orientation and started losing his way and getting frustrated with life. I shared with him one of my favorite scriptures in 3 Nephi 14, where the disciples were worried about what they would eat, drink and what they would dress. Christ replied Don’t worry, because your Heavenly Father knows what you need, Search first for the Kingdom of God and these things will be added unto you (paraphrased). I told him that the solution was very simple. Trust in the Lord, put Him in the first place over everything else and he would gain more than he could ever imagine. He came to church this week, it was awesome!
We also started to teach another less active, named Pablo that baptized a few years ago in Praia. He actually has the Melchizedek priesthood. We shared with him the story of Enos and his fight to obtain remission of his sins. This story really touched Pablo. We challenged him to try pray fervently and talk with the Lord as Enos did. He wasn’t able to come to church yesterday, but he said he would come this next week!
Another cool miracle, is that at testimony meeting yesterday, Judith shared a really cool story. Since the day we met her (4 months ago) she has struggled financially and to find a fixed job. We have promised time upon time that God would bless her as she continued to be obedient. It was hard to see her struggle so much and be so obedient, but I had a surety that God would fulfill his promise. The branch members have been a huge help to her in her need. She said that the week before, she had thought that it was the 1st Sunday of the month (actually the last of the month). She did a fast with the purpose that she might find work. To her surprise the very next day, some random lady had offered her a fixed job. Not only that, but some branch members had also found her another fixed job, now she had the problem of deciding which job she would take, she prayed and she made the decision. Judith is so great!
We found a few investigators this week while we were knocking doors. I’m pretty sure they were stoned, but we still taught them a little bit. One of them, named Steve really appeared to have interest. He had told us that he had talked to missionaries before and that he knew about Joseph Smith. We visited him again yesterday, inviting him to be baptized on the 4th of October, he said ´´yeah, I’ll be baptized on that day, I’ve already been baptized in your church, can I do it twice?'' I asked ''You have been baptized in this church?!?!'' He replied ''Yeah''. Not sure why he didn’t tell us that ha-ha. However he does have desire to come back to church, so that will be good!!
Oh yeah, another thing. We were passing some people to bring them to church. At one house they had a dog chained up. I went to pet the dog’s head, but then I decided not to. Then my companion said ´´just pet him, he want bite´´. Well I went to pet and the dog just about bit of my finger. I got blood all over my nice tie and my white shirt ha-ha. I didn’t want to look at my finger, because I really thought the dog had bit it off. It didn’t end up being that bad, ha-ha.
Also this week we had the visit of a 70 of the area, his name is Elder Moreira, and he is from Portugal. It was absolutely incredible. His words were very inspiring, he just made me want to repent and change and be better. Well that’s actually the Spirit that brings a change in our heart to want to do good continually. That’s how you I can tell if a talk or training was good, if I feel enlightened and want to repent.
I love the gospel, I love sharing it with those that are lost, so that they may experience the unexplainable joy that I feel every day. I’m grateful for my parents that showed me a great example of how to live the gospel!
Love,
Elder Rice