D&C 4:2

"Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day." (D&C 4:2)




Monday, September 1, 2014

Hey,

I have come to realize the utter importance of our communication with our Heavenly Father. Just as real that we may be speak, ask, beg and plead to Him, He can very well communicate with us through revelation. Revelation is communication from God to his children, this communication comes by the Holy Ghost which prompts us, gives us impressions, and fills our heart with inspiring thoughts and feelings. We ask the Lord for so many things every day, but how often do we pay attention to what He is saying to us. If the God spoke to you would you give so little importance to it, to forget it within moments or days? The voice of the Spirit is gentle and subtle and can often be overlooked if we are not paying attention. I have tried to pay more attention to these revelations that the Lord has given me. I have even started a small journal to record this things. I encourage you all to do the same, the messages that God gives us are essential to our earthly and eternal progression.

I gave a training in District meeting this week about Faith. I shared the story in Matthew 14, 22-33, of Jesus walking on the water. Christ called to Peter that he would walk toward him, having faith in Christ and seeing the perfect and unfailing example of Christ, Peter stepped out and walked on the water. 1st of all proving that maybe to man, some things may be difficult or impossible, but with God, all things are possible, likewise as we have faith in Him. As we come unto Christ we can do miracles. But later, the wind came. I like to think of this wind as weaknesses, temptation, trials that test our faith in Christ. It is inevitable that we will fall. But it is how react against these winds that matter. Will we let our trials get the best of us and weaken us, or will we do as Ether counsels (Ether 12:27), as we come unto Christ, he will show us our weaknesses, and he shows us our weaknesses that we may be humble. We must humble ourselves and recognize our dependence on the strength of the Lord, that we cannot do this alone. And the grace of Christ is enough for all those that humble themselves, making it possible that weak things become strong. I know that through the Savior Jesus Christ and only through Him may we overcome our weaknesses and errors and become stronger than we have ever been, to become true disciples to the Lord. I have felt impressed to share this story, it was revelation that the Lord has shown to me that I will never forget.

This week was incredible! What a joyous and beautiful day to see Chidi follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized. Chidi was a lost man. At times close to suicide. He was addicted to drugs and has been stuck hopelessly in this country for 17 years without seeing his family. And then one day, the Lord led us to Him. I have a surety that it was the Lord that led us to him. He realized it was exactly the gospel that he needed and he even exclaimed ''I have found what I have been searching for''. Chidi has transformed. He used to wear these ragged and dirty clothes. He cut his hair, shaved his beard, cleaned his clothes and now I can see the light that he has. As he came out of the water he couldn’t help but just laugh and smile. I gave him a hug and i knew by the power of the Holy Ghost that that baptism was indeed performed by the divine authority of God. As we walked back he couldn’t stop saying. I just feel so different, I feel so happy, I feel like a different person. Yesterday he received the gift of the Holy Ghost. What a miraculous and wonderful experience it has been to work with him and help him come unto Christ. He is now closer than ever to return back to his home country. I know that as he continues to keep the commandments of the Lord, He will prepare a way.

One night as we were standing on a street corner, a young man of about 21 years came up to us and told us that he wasn’t from Sal, he was from Sao Vincent and he had gone to our church. For a while it seemed like he was a member, but we came to find out that he was not yet baptized. His name is Elvis. He works with horses and does excursions around the island. We got to teach him at our branch president’s house and it was a great success. He has accepted to be baptized on the 27 of September. He is going to be a great member, i can see it.

For the first time ever here in our small branch in Santa Maria, we had 3 hours of church!!! We started at 9:30am, until 12:30pm. It ended up being a huge success. Our branch president, President Rodrigues is so awesome, I love him. He is doing such a great job, even with such little time in the church, he is doing everything to magnify is office we are working with him always!!!

I love the work, I love the gospel. There was a quote that I loved by Elder Jeffery R. Holland, I will paraphrase. He said ''There once was a young man that came up to me and asked 'Elder Holland, would you give your life for the church?', I knew what he was trying to ask, if I would be willing to die for my beliefs. Well that would be the easy part, to die for our beliefs. The harder thing is to live for the church, live your beliefs and serve Him until the end. Not a very easy task''. I am both willing to die and live for the Lord. I have no doubt that these things that I teach and preach every day are true, I have seen it transform lives.

Love,

Elder Rice