D&C 4:2

"Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day." (D&C 4:2)




Friday, November 1, 2013

Hello Family and Friends!!

What an incredible week!!! Truly a blessing of the Lord. There is nothing better, or more rewarding than missionary work, especially when it ends up in helping others come unto Christ. It’s a truly beautiful thing. Last night was transfers... After 4 transfers (6 months) here in Assomada, I will be transferred. Oh how I will miss Assomada, the members, the recent converts, the ward, the investigators are so immensely incredible. I WILL NEVER forget them, never! I and Elder Otterstrom went running this morning to say good bye to everyone, it was sad, i love them all so much. Anyway, i have been transferred to the Island of Maio!!!!! Maio is an island next to Santiago that has never, ever had missionaries serve there. Me and Elder Christensen (my first trainer who was the assistent) will be opening up this new island. Apparently there are 6 members that live on Maio that were baptized on other islands and went back to Maio. I cannot even begin to describe the pure excitement I have to open up a new island. This has been one of my BIGGEST dreams on the mission, it will be a life changing experience, and I know we are going to see MANY miracles. This task will not be easy. I have realized that I am nothing. I and my companion must rely completely on the Lord, in prayer, in fasting, in study, in obedience, in everything we do. Only like this the Lord can prepare the way and help us to have success among this people.

I will miss dearly my beloved companion, Elder Otterstrom (my second trainer). We had an incredible transfer, saw many miracles, found some incredible families and helped some enter into the waters of baptism, opening the door to their eternal salvation. Elder Otterstrom is a very patient companion, I love him for that, he always puts up with me. I love him and will never forget him.

Anyway, we have been teaching Herculano and Ivone and they are doing fantastic. Members and the bishopric are visiting to help them feel more integrated in the ward. Right now, Herculano has a major doubt about money and financial situation. Honestly this is nothing. We are trying to help him understand that the money will be taken care of, one way or another, if they both make the decision to keep the commandments to prepare for baptism and eternal life. They will get married and baptized, I know it. Unfortunately I won’t have the opportunity to see it.

We also had a super great lesson with Dulce and Carlos, Irlandina and their kid Yasmine. They had not read the section we left in 3 Nephi 11, so we read it together. The Spirit was so strong. Everyone really began to focus as we read about Christ arriving in the Americas. A smile crept onto Carlos face, who was actually trying to get out of talking with us. I know the Spirit testified to them that Christ is our Savior and manifested to them the Book of Mormon is the Word of God.

This Saturday, we had a magnificent baptism. We helped Tilish, Gery and Aleida be baptized. Tilish is the nephew of Nininha (who we helped me married and baptize) and Gery is her son. They both had a super problem with alcohol, but they have left it behind to repent and follow Christ. They are so much happier now. Aleida was just always super bomb and super prepared, she is awesome. After Nininha's other son, Ivandro saw the baptism, his entire attitude changed. He used to not give value to the things we taught, nor did he want to change. After seeing the baptism, he wants to be baptized this week. What a blessing to help families be united in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

What can I say, I love this work!

Love,

Elder Rice