HEY!
So last Monday we planned a family night at our recent convert´s house, Judith. The only problem is that she lives in a very small dark house that doesn’t have light, water and very few chairs. We told her not to worry, we bought a bunch of candles and some cookies and invited everyone!!! There ended up being 22 people in her house. I don’t think I have ever seen Judith so happy. She is a very shy woman, and through the church she has made so many friends. She is always smiling now. She even gave the spiritual thought about obedience, it was great. We played some games in the candle light. Judith absolutely loved it!!! It had so be one of the best family nights that we have had.
We have started to teach a Muslim man. Usually, they won’t even talk to us. In some extreme cases they can be threatened to be killed if they leave their religion. But this man we found named Brym is a really nice guy. He is showing sincere interest in what we are teaching and even agrees and believes that Jesus Christ is our Savior. He said he would like to come to church. He couldn’t come this week because he had work, but hopefully in the future he will be able to come.
We have been having Priesthood classes for the few priesthood holders that we have here in Santa Maria, taught by me. I teach them the essential lessons needed before recieving the Melchizedek Priesthood. I have been sharing a few things from the Priesthood session of General conference that I have been reading lately. I literally cannot stop reading the General Conference talks. I have probably gone through 2 to 3 general conferences. Thats what I like to do during lunch. I know that these men are chosen and inspired by God. Their words are so applicable in our lives. They have such relevance. The words of these prophets, apostles and 70´s make me want to be better. They motivate me to be better. What a HUGE blessing it is that we have a living prophet on the earth that posseses the keys to guide us in this last dispensation. I am so grateful for General Conference. I cant wait until the next one in October!!!!
During the priesthood class I have had the chance to teach them a bit about Family Home Teaching. President Rodriguez was able to draw up a list and make some companionships to visit all the members of the branch. Because there are so few worthy priesthood holders, we did a 4 way division. 1 member went with 1 of the 4 Elders here in Santa Maria and we visited 4-5 people each. It was a HUGE success. I really believe that a consistent plan to do this every month could really help a lot in this branch to demonstrate love and to rescue those that have distanced themselves from the church and strengthen those that are active. I went out with our branch mission leader, Alex. He is a great young man. He is 19, he actually has more time being less active than being active, but he has made a great transformation and now he is even preparing to serve a mission, we are going to help him to fulfill his dream.
Elder Turner and i are doing great, we are having a lot of fun! There truly are not words to describe for the love I have for the Savior and his gospel. I wish everyone could just understand the incredible message that we have to offer. We sound and even look crazy to the world. We are the minority, but there is truly nothing more sweet on this face of this earth than partaking of the fruit of the Tree of Life. I love this church.
Love,
Elder Rice