Hey Everyone!!!
The mission life is so busy it’s just a huge blur!! Days pass by like its nothing. I can’t even comprehend it. I’m here in Assomada and it’s absolutely amazing. Assomada is one of the highest populated areas (I think the 3rd highest behind Praia and Mindelo). There are a lot of cars and people and there is a huge market right next to our house. Its weird how many stores there are and how big our selection of food is. In Mosteiros there was like 1 or 2 main stores that were not big at all. This place is amazing!!!!! The members here are incredible, they have such huge testimonies. There are a lot of families and the ward just continues to grow. Couldn’t be happier to be here!
We have found some INCREDIBLE investigators this week. This week we marked 7 baptism dates and every single one of them showed up to church and they are all progressing great for baptism. We will be having the baptism of Elsa this week. We had the baptism of Pipi last week but I didn’t get the chance to teach him he was already taught before I got here.
Elsa works all day long and apparently whenever she would talk to the elders she would always say she is too busy and wants to resolve her problems before being baptized. We told her that baptism and the gospel of Christ will not add another worry of her burden but will alleviate all of her past pains and she will literally be born again. She accepted the baptism for this week and its going to be sweet!
We also met Jair and Nielton. They are 16 and 14 years old and they live alone here in Assomada in a tiny one room house. They live here in Assomada alone to go school because there home is in a small far away town and they would have to take a Hiace every day. They love to watch soccer and they are just great kids. We have been teaching them and inviting them and their desire has just continued to grow. They came to church and are preparing for baptism on the 8th of June.
We also met Jota. Jota has a huge problem with smoking. I believe he smokes a lot of weed, ha-ha. He was already taught the word of wisdom before I came here but we have just been following up and giving him a plan to prepare to be baptized. We gave him a priesthood blessing and now we are going to pass him every day to see how he is doing. He came to church, it was sweet!
Also we did a family night at a less active member’s house and had a lot of fun! We played games and ate cake! At the end I felt like I needed to talk to one of the daughters of the family. As I was leaving I found out her name is Vera. I asked if we could pass by and she said she would like to be baptized. We defiantly passed by and she is progressing great!
There are some other investigators that are awesome, but these are just a few. Elder Reeser is my new companion; he is such an awesome elder! We get along really well and teach very well together. We have a lot to do in our zone but I know that we can lead in the right direction if we do the Lord’s will.
I don’t have a doubt in my heart that this is the truth. This is the most rewarding work. I’m so lucky to have been called to serve here in Cabo Verde, this is a blessed land. I will do my best to bring souls to Christ. It’s so rewarding to teach a person that is absolutely miserable and see there entire life change to peace and happiness. The only explanation is the grace of Jesus Christ. I know Christ is our Savior and I know that by him we can return and with our Heavenly Father again. There is no other way.
Love,
Elder Rice