D&C 4:2

"Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day." (D&C 4:2)




Monday, May 13, 2013

Hey Everyone!!!!!

It was so great to talk with all the family last night on Skype! Man I miss you all so much. Being on the mission made me realize that I truly have the best family and the best life in the world!! I’m kind of sad it took me this long to realize it, but I know the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ has brought such love, peace and eternal happiness in our family. I love you all so much. Congratulations Trevor for being married, I know that the covenant made in the temple is a lasting convent that will last for all of eternity.

Anyway, after the Skype call, stuff got pretty crazy!! It was transfers last night but we didn’t receive a call from president when we should have. We were about to go to bed and then all of the phone rings and it is President Oliveira. I answered it and he tells me that I am being transferred to be Zone Leader on the Island of SanTiago. He told me I would serve with Elder Reeser. Which is kind of funny because before the mission I was curious about who was serving and found Elder Reesers blog, I ended up emailing him and asking him about Cabo Verde. And now we are companions! Approximately 30 minutes later we get a call from the Zone Leaders telling me I need to have everything packed and ready to go by 5:30 in the morning. Elder Mckissik helped me pack up everything for the next hour and a half. We woke up at 5:30 am this morning, took a Hiace to Sao Filipe, hopped a boat at 9:00 (a very rocky, motion sickness boat) and went to San Tiago. Then we waited on the streets of Praia to get a 1 hour Hiace ride to Assomada in the middle of San Tiago and now I am here!! It has been a crazy day. I didn’t get to eat or drink anything until about 1 hour ago ha-ha. Crazy stuff!!!!

It’s really sad that I don’t have the chance to say good bye to anyone in the ward, but I hope they will remember me for the work that we did. I love them all so very much!!! They are such an incredible people. I wish I would have had just 30 minutes to pass everyone I knew. Luckily I took some pictures with some people during the week. There are going to be two baptisms this week that I wish I could see. Maruka is an incredible man that had a very rough past but has repented and wants to change forever. and then there is Tony, who is the husband of our recent convert Rolina. He quit alcohol and smoking like it was nothing. I love them so much, but I know that Elder Mckissik will continue to help them.

We actually had just met an INCREDIBLE family right before I left. They have such sincere desire to follow what is right. Their names are Margarita, Elvis and Katya. We shared the Restoration and they were so interested. I wish I could be there to see what happens with them. It is sad, but that is the way the mission works, I know I will continue to find people that I love.

I hope the best for Edy, our recent convert. He is doing so well. He received the priesthood, has already had the opportunity to pass the sacrament, bless the sacrament and this past Sunday gave an incredible talk in church about the Law of Chastity. He wants to serve a mission. He is truly incredible, I love him so much.

This is the most rewarding work in the world. I love it beyond description. It is so satisfying to help others change their lives for the better and come to Christ. I know this church is true. I know it. I know that when we obey the commandments of God, he will bless us spiritually and physically. Just follow what they lord has given you and you will be blessed, its a promise. I know that my life can never go too bad because if we just follow and obey, all will be good.

Love,

Elder Rice