D&C 4:2

"Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day." (D&C 4:2)




Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Tudo Bem,

 Como esta? This week was AWESOME! It was a little weird because we had a bunch of random stuff. For example on last p day we had to set up this marriage for a couple that will be baptized this week, Domingos and Helena, and Domingo's brother Antonio will be baptize too! We had to turn in papers to the city hall a week ago and we went to go pick them up. Well turns out the office that is suppose to open is closed, we waited for 30 minutes, then we got some other stuff that took another hour. Then we went with the couple to ''registro'' not sure the word in English to mark the date. We wait a while, then it’s our turn and the lady says we forgot to get a signature which we were never told, we went back to the city hall, got the signature and headed back. Then the lady said that it was spelt wrong so we back and tried to get another copy but the guy was gone. Finally the lady just said we could bring it back the next day. Things are not incredibly organized here haha.

We taught a lesson this week with a guy named Dany. He has been going to various churches, checking their doctrine and trying to find the right church. We had a lesson about the Restoration and I asked if he had any questions and he said he had one. Then he pulled out various scriptures about the Sabbath day being on Saturday. Almost instantly I felt the spirit leave. From then on he just began to bash. His points weren’t even the valid. I refrained from bashing with him because honestly that gets nowhere. Because to be honest, we have scriptures that can counter whatever we want, but the thing he needs is a spiritual conversion. I basically said to him that what he is talking about has no importance if Joseph Smith saw God the Father and His Son and was called as a prophet. Everything we have hinges on Joseph Smith. If he was a prophet of God, we are the only true church on the face of the Earth. I’m grateful for the testimony I have of that truth, and with this I pray that I will never waver.

 We had another unexpected ZONE CONFERENCE this week, but this time with President Oliveira, his wife and the assistants. President Oliveira was sick, but still he went hard core. He laid it down. In Portuguese the work ''faka'' means knife. When someone does something wrong and is called out we call it a faka. Many fakas were handed out. I think it is called faka because when being called out it feels like you are being stabbed in the heart (at least that’s my definition). I didn’t get any but others did haha. That night, the entire island of Fogo elders stayed in our house and demolished our food supply once again.

 I went on a division with the new French Elder, Elder Guy (pronounced Gee). He traveled to Brazil before his mission and learned Portuguese in 2 months. He is 26, a convert at 23 and a boss. He teaches very well and with sincerity. His testimony is HUGE! I love the guy; we had an awesome time teaching together.

 One of our newer investigators Ninizinho (zinho is pronounced like zinyo) is doing well. He said he knows this church is true and that Joseph Smith was a prophet and wants to follow the path and be baptized. Unfortunately, our recent convert, Aguinaldo that passed by his house before church to walk with him, saw him drunk. We are going to talk to him this week!

We will be having the baptism of Domingos and Antonio this week. I’m so pumped, they are so ready!!! Anyway, transfer is flying by, but it should be a great week!

Love,

Elder Rice