D&C 4:2

"Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day." (D&C 4:2)




Tuesday, October 23, 2012


Dear Family and Friends!!!
The weeks just get better and better! Time in the MTC is so weird, we wake up at 6:30 and it feels like 5 minutes later we are getting ready for bed. We constantly busy, studying, working and learning the language, the time just flies. Any time that we are not studying, we are eating, Im building up a winter reserve for Cabo Verde haha. This week was awesome, me and my companion Elder Heagney are rapidly increasing our ability in both the language and the gospel. Elder Heagney is so well versed in the scriptures, and so knowledgable in them that we just work so well together. We have been learning to teach the person, teach by the spirit and make the Atonement our message that is applicable to every investigator (fake investigators, usually our teachers, its so fun!!!). Im learning SO MUCH!!! I can almost teach the first 3 full lessons in Preach My Gospel without any book or notes. There were some missionaries waiting here in Provo MTC to go to Brasil. One looked exactly like Drew Carey it was hilarious, the other one is a monster and he actually wrestled in Washington for Arlington. There is a lot more flirting in the MTC than I thought there would be haha. The guys here go crazy, especially in my district, and it doesnt help that the sister missionaries are getting cuter, its one huge temptation but ive vowed to stay away haha. One of the most awesome things Ive learned is the power of prayer. There are few times that I've prayed so hard for the companionship and aide of the spirit, for answers and for strength. What alot of people don't understand is that prayer is a 2-way communication through God and the person. God hears you, He loves you, and if it His will to answer your questions, undoubtedly he will. He has answered my prayers without fail, I there are things I cannot deny, especially the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon being the word of God. Another thing that ive come to learn is that this mission has nothing to do with me. This mission is not a sacrifice, and i shouldnt feel bad for leaving everything at home and college. This mission is about the people in Cabo Verde that can be happy, truly happy. I have the privelage to be the vessel that carries this magnificent message to the world. I get to use the Holy Spirit to strengthen and fortify my teaching so that "no man can err" from the simple and true message I am going to bring. I love this gospel, I love my Savior that suffered for mistakes and continue to make. His grace for us will always be enough and no one is too far gone, thats what I get to teach, im pumped. I love you all, keep in contact with me, my address is on my blog or you can dearelder.com me at Box # 166, Elder Matthew William Rice!!

Com amor,
Elder Rice