Hey,
Its been a fantastic two weeks with my new companion Elder Acord, we really get along and are working super well This week wasn’t exactly how we thought it would be. This Thursday we received a phone call that Elder Acord and I were invited to go to a mission leadership council, which was a bit odd because we are in Maio and we are just district leaders of 2 sisters. We thought it was something fishy. Then on Saturday night the assistants called us again and told us that they had some news for us. They said Elder Rice, pack your bags and bring them to the council. We thought they were joking, but they said, seriously, pack your bags. They wouldn’t tell us why.
After 6 months of working, preaching, teaching, baptizing and everything, my time has come to an end on Maio. I have learned more than I ever thought i could learn. I discovered who is God and that he really does live and love us. He is merciful; he is a God of miracles, forgiveness, love, goodness, justice. God doesn’t forget us. He knows each one of us and permits that we face difficulties and trials so that we learn and REMEMBER him. When life is going smooth and there are no problems, how many times have we recognized His hand? Its during our trials when we remember that we are nothing. Just as the Lord tested the Children of Israel in the desert, we too must be tried so we don’t become prideful and forget Him, our Loving Father in Heaven. We had 30 people in sacrament meeting. EVERYTHING is ready for the branch. I know I have given that island everything I had. The Lord cut me down when I was high and strengthened me when i was weak. What an enormous blessing it has been to establish the Lords Kingdom on such a blessed land. Saying bye was tough, I couldn’t help but just cry as I gave our beloved group leader Ta one last hug. I have gone through so much there, I will NEVER forget that experience, nor will I ever forget the incredible members that came unto Christ, took up his cross and follow him.
We are in Praia. We are going to Mission Leadership tomorrow. I will find out who my new companion and my new area tomorrow. I don’t think it will be anything like where I came from, but I will do the will of the Lord with all my heart, might, mind and strength. This is His work and being ordained by His only Spirit to declare these eternal truths, we cannot fail.
Love,
Elder Rice