D&C 4:2

"Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day." (D&C 4:2)




Monday, March 4, 2013

Dear Friends and Family,

This week was intense! At the beginning of the week I pretty had no clue about our area. A lot of the members weren’t available to show us around so we were kind of lost. But now we know pretty well! There are the 3 main huge areas. The first is called Queimada (thats where we live), then there is Mosteiros Atraz (45-50 minute walk) and then there is Feijoal (1 hour walk). We have investigators in all these areas so we have to split up the days to where we go. It’s kind of difficult, sometimes we take a taxi but then we have to take out of our monthly fund! We walk on a lot of dirt and rock trails that are like an 80 degree slant, its intense. All i know is that i think that my shoes aren’t going to last haha. The cobblestone and trails are eating my shoes.

There is big trouble with less actives here. Its especially difficult cause for some it’s an hour walk, sometimes more. Some members make the trek every week, it’s incredible. There is a church in the city, but another one is being constructed right now. This week I have been making my companion food every day. Mom, you would be proud that I have made garlic mash potatoes, barbeque chicken, barbeque chicken pizza, and other stuff. I also made some pretty nasty eggs, spam and rice, but nonetheless I’m cooking. We try and have chicken with every meal, its money.

We are teaching a young man named Edy. His recent convert friend Patrick has invited him to church and he has came 3 times! We always have our visits at Patrick’s house with Edy and Patrick’s little brother Valdir who is also going to be baptized. Yesterday, we followed up on the prayer that Edy had about Joseph Smith and his face just lit up and he kept smiling. We went on to say that he felt something start from the bottom of his body and crawl up to the top of his body. He knows for himself that God answered his prayer. He is so excited and going to keep preparing for baptism.

We have a lot of work to do in Mosteiros, Right now I’m back in Sao FIlipe because I will be flying out to Praia for today and tomorrow for Zone Leaders Council. I’m not a zone leader but I, Elder Otterstrom (my trainer) and Elder Bruce have been invited. We will see how it goes!!

There is so much to work to do, it almost seems overwhelming, but it is ALL possible with the Lords hand. I know that once I start relying on the Spirit and the Lord with all I have, success will come. I am just an instrument in the Lords hands, this is his work. What a privilege it is to be here and spread the best message in the world. I couldn’t ask for anything better.

I love you all!

Elder Rice